- Talk to the agent about each of the risks and potential losses you have identified.
- Discuss the value of your business, your monthly overhead expenses, and the value of your furnishings, equipment and inventory.
- Discuss what it would cost to rebuild any structures that you own.
- Discuss the limits and deductibles you want.
- Discuss the value of your families total assets as it relates to the dollar amount of your liability coverage needs.
- Fill out the application yourself if possible, or read it carefully before signing it after the agent has completed it. Ask questions about any information that is unclear and document the answers.
- Request a copy of the application for your records.
- Ask to review the policy before making your first payment. It is your right to be given the opportunity to review, and question, all details before the policy goes into effect.
Save all notes and any promotional brochures, ads and information in your insurance file or notebook.
Subject to the availability of the coverages in question, tailor your insurance accordingly.
Next: The Application