Disability Insurance – Common Issues
The most common issues:
- Whether the policy covers Own Occupation disabilities or Any Occupation disabilities or a combination of both.
- Whether the impairment is permanent or temporary.
- Whether the disability is Total or Residual.
- Whether the treating physicians are in agreement as to the diagnosis and prognosis.
- Whether an insurance medical evaluation confirms the treating physicians’ opinions.
- Whether any objective medical testing or other testing confirms the insured’s medical condition.
- Whether the effect of [prescription drugs exacerbates the insured’s condition.
- Whether the insured can perform all or a portion of their substantial and material duties.
- Whether policy benefits are owing and if so, under what portions of the coverage.
- If a buy out is under consideration how many years remain in the life of the policy; what the insureds mortality is and what discount rate should be applied.